Friday, August 17, 2007

A New Experience



Ted, thank you for further insight to mapping my experience. I've created a new map! I start at my home and research the product. I usually have a pre-conceived location where I want to buy my new iProduct and that is depicted by the store at the end of my road. Columbus, Ohio is depicted on the left as I travel around and through these buildings to acquire my new product. The signs show decision making. The left one is features and selection, the other a detour opportunity to order my product from the internet instead of driving to a location. My road starts out as ones and zeros as I usually research products online or through commercials transmitted to my DirecTV satellite. It quickly transforms into what we typically see as a road (possibly changing to something else yet before I arrive in Boston.) Most of my travel is Freeway bound. I have indicated distance by placing numerical representations of off-ramps to other neighborhoods and major roads. The importance is time and relationship to my home where I can enjoy my new iProduct. Please let me know any reactions to this new image as I will be working on it again Friday to finish some loose ideas.

1 comment:

bac dmarch said...

Matt,

This certainly brings your ideas closer to home - closer to your experience. It might be a little too close. Part of the issue with doing this kind of project is that most of the available sources of information, acquisition, travel, arrival, distance, are homognized. The road is the same road we all travel, the box store the same we all shop in, etc. icons like the golden gate bridge are one of a kind, but express limited amounts of information. the buildings begin to ground the project and show some sense of place, but again, they become icons. Some how Amr's re-use and transformation of the bag / gun image, to become an explosion of products scattered to form the US landscape expresses more about a position than a simple map would. There is risk, there is feeling, there is challenge, etc. His experience in this moras we call technology becomes clearer to me in his work. Rick's project is a hint of his position in relation to all of this. If he produced more work we would see his position with more clarity. A map created by an individual is an interpretation of how one gets from point A to point B, but it is more a reading of how that individual sees the world around them. To some, the gas station is the landmark, to others it is the traffic light, to a third it might be the pizza shop between the two. Our mental landscape toward the virtual world is no different.